Year 10 / 11 Iceland
This trip is open to GCSE students (Year 10 and 11) of Geography or Geology only. Whilst this is an optional trip, it is an invaluable educational opportunity for all students to experience at first hand the processes that shape our planet.
The travel company use is Rayburn Tours. Please see the following link - http://www.rayburntours.com/educational-trips/geography/iceland
The proposed itinerary includes:
- Return flights with Wow air from Heathrow to Keflavik.
- Visit to the Blue Lagoon - swim at the world famous geothermal spa.
- Geysir Centre - observe some amazing hot springs in action.
- Ferry to Heimaey Island. This amazing experience includes a climb to the top of the active volcano which devastated the island in 1973.
- Boat trip around Heimaey Island.
- Visit to some of the largest waterfalls in Iceland including Gullfoss.
- Pingvellir - an opportunity to visit the rift valley where the European tectonic plate meets the North American plate.
- Guided glacial trek on the Black Glacier (with crampons).
- Evening trips to local swimming pools.
The cost of the trip is in the region of £1135.00. However, please be aware that this cost is dependent on a range of factors such as the number of students who go on the trip and airline costs. We do all that we can to keep the cost as low as possible whilst still offering the opportunities, such as a trip to Heimaey and the Glacier Tour, that other trips don’t offer.
Before committing to this trip please also be aware that any Year 9 pupils who choose to take GCSE Geology are asked to go on a residential trip in Year 11 which this year (2017) cost around £170.00. For Year 12 Geography students there is a residential field trip to a field study centre which this year cost around £340.00. While these trips may not affect all students, we think it only fair to make you aware of this.