Latest News

Posted on: 20/01/2016

2nd XI Squad reach Kent Cup Final again

Congratulations to the senior 2nd XI football squad who have reached the 2nd XI Kent Cup Final for the second year in a row after defeating Dane Court G.S 3-1 in the semi-final on Saturday 16th January. The team started impressively, immediately getting into their stride and playing attractive possession football which they have played all season. Fabian Kommu and Ryan Weston were dominating the midfield, constantly supplying Harry Gammer and Frankie Storey, who were causing all sorts of problems for the opposition defence with their pace and intelligent movement.  TWGSB played with a high tempo and began to dominate possession and territory, making several good chances but spurning them with either wayward finishing or taking too many touches before shooting. However, the patience and attacking threat was finally rewarded with an excellent move down the right hand side, a pin-point cross and a powerful side foot volley finish off the underside of the crossbar from Toby Francis; a superb strike which gave the keeper no chance. Credit here to the honesty of the assistant referee from Dane Court G.S who confirmed with the referee that the ball had travelled over the line. A second goal quickly followed as TWGSB streamed forward relentlessly; a deflected shot by Harry Gammer punishing the opposition before they had recovered from the first goal. It was all one way traffic for the remainder of the first half, with Dane Court limited to set piece chances or the occasional counter attack. TWGSB  should have sealed the game just before half-time with a classic counter attack move down the right, with Gammer beating the centre back with his pace and trickery, and setting up Storey for a simple tap in, but somehow his attempt was blocked by a defender.

However, this missed opportunity did not faze the team and they continued to play free-flowing football in the second-half, again spurning other guilt-edged chances. Storey, Osborne, Gammer and Jacquin were all culpable in front of goal. Dane Court began to commit more men forward in a desperate attempt to get back into the game. The game became more stretched and gaps in the opposition’s defence and midfield began to emerge. Consequently the deserved third goal came mid-way through the second half with Harry Gammer and Frankie Storey combining effectively again and Storey scrambling the ball home. This third goal should have secured the game but Dane Court rallied, committed even more players forward and caught TWGSB on the counter attack, when both centre backs had needlessly  gone up for a corner. Fabian Kommu was left one on one with their centre forward and he managed to beta Hugo McFadyen with a close range finish. That was the only blemish on an excellent performance. However, this team is very determined and is made of real resolve and TWGSB managed to see the last 15 mins out, whilst still looking a threat on the counter attack with the pace and skill of Storey and Nicholds, who had come on as a second half substitute.

It was a very comfortable win for TWGSB and the squad played some excellent football and were dominant in all areas of the pitch. All the players have been superb all season; have great team spirit and a determination to keep their unbeaten run intact.

The squad will play in the final against either Dover G.S or Harvey G.S, probably in March. The League and Cup Double is the target now!

Mr K Downing - 2nd XI Team Manager