Salary: Kent Range 4
Starting salary £16,968
Required for 23rd October or ASAP thereafter, a Caretaker for 37 hours per week all year round.
We need someone who will be willing to contribute to the team, be flexible and prepared to cover in the event of team absence.
An Enhanced DBS Disclosure will be required for this post.
Closing date: 6 October 2017
Job Title: Caretaker
Responsible to: Site Manager/Head Caretaker
- Line Manager is the Site Manager, but responsibility on a day to day basis is to the Head Caretaker.
- Receive and check goods and supplies and distribute as necessary.
- Read meters as necessary and maintain approved records.
- Ensure the efficient working of the heating and lighting in the plant and be proficient in the saving of energy around the School.
- Cleaning duties, including spot and emergency cleaning, which may be necessary to maintain hygiene standards.
- Undertake other cleaning duties as specified.
- Keep clean and tidy, when necessary, the paths, drives and other hard surfaces within the site grounds. Empty rubbish bins located around the site.
- Undertake repairs and maintenance, when necessary, around the site.
- Keep paths, access points and entrances free from snow, ice or other dangerous substances to ensure safe passage.
- Assist in cleaning lamp shades and light diffusers, taking into account the instructions for working at heights.
- Report defects in the buildings, furniture, fittings and plant to line manager who will instruct on the next course of action.
- Replenish soap, towels and toilet paper in toilets, etc.
- Liaise daily with the rest of the site team.
- Porterage/messenger duties both within and outside school premises.
- Carry out security duties and associated cleaning, when necessary, on lettings arranged by the School.
- Ensure that the Health and Safety of the staff and students is not compromised, e.g. by keeping toilets clean, stairways uncluttered, etc.
- Assist in checking the fire alarms weekly and help maintain the register.
- Ensure that all washroom facilities/toilet areas are regularly inspected to maintain a high standard of cleanliness.
- Ensure the safe storage of any flammable/toxic substance on site other than those in workshops as directed by the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations (COSHH).
- Empty internal and external bins and work with the School in recycling initiatives.
- Litter picking around the site.
- Ensure that waste pipes to all lavatory basins and sinks are clear and cleaned.
- Check all fire equipment within the School to ensure that it is maintained in operational condition.
- Be prepared to be flexible and assist in the preparation and clean up work for functions in the School.
- Work overtime as and when necessary including weekends, which may include covering early/late shifts when other members of the site team are unavailable.
- Key holder responsibilities.
- Respond to resetting school alarm, liaising with the Police and alarm company.
- Attend training courses when necessary.
- Undertake any other task which the Headteacher/Site Manager/Head Caretaker may deem to fall within this remit.